Last updated June 23, 2022
321 N Loomis Street Suite 101
Chicago, IL 60607
- On this Site.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Site.
- When you interact with applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications include links to this policy.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Company or any third party.
- Any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Site.
(3) A Note About Children. We do not intentionally gather Personal Data from visitors who are under the age of 13. If a child under 13 submits Personal Data to Company and we learn that the Personal Data is the information of a child under 13, we will attempt to delete the information as soon as possible. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us using the details in Section 1 above. We will delete such information from our files as soon as reasonably possible.
(4) Purposes of Processing.
- What is Personal Information? We collect information about you in a range of forms, including Personal Data. As used in this Policy, “Personal Information” includes any information which, either alone or in combination with other information we hold about you, identifies you as an individual, including, for example, your name, postal address, email address and telephone number.
- Sensitive Personal Information. We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information, including social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background, and/or trade union membership, on or through the Site or Services or otherwise to us.
(5) Types of Information We Collect. We collect Personal Information and Deidentified Information, as described below. When we use the term “Deidentified Information,” we are referring to data and information that does not permit you to be identified or identifiable, either alone or when combined with any other information available to a third party. We may create Deidentified Information from the Personal Information that we receive about you and other individuals whose Personal Information we collect. Deidentified Information might include analytics information and information collected by us using cookies (“Cookies”). We make Personal Information into Deidentified Information by excluding information (such as your name) that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use this Deidentified Data to analyze usage patterns in order to make improvements to our Site and Services.
Information You Provide to Us.
- Register an account. Some of our Products give you the option of creating a user account on the Character Site (an “Account”). If you decide to create an Account, you will provide us with certain Personal Information, such as your username and password. You are not required to register to use our products.
- Purchase a Product. When you make a purchase on the Character Site, you are given the option of logging into an Account or checking out as a guest. In either case, when you purchase a Product, you will provide us with Personal Information, such as your name, email address, and shipping address.
- Make a payment. When you make a payment to Character, you may need to provide Personal Information to our secure third-party payment processors. Such Personal Information may include sensitive Personal Information, such as your credit card number. Character is not responsible for the storage or processing of any payment information.
- Submit information to us. We collect information you submit to us. For example, when you post a review of a Product on withcharacter.com or refer a friend to Character on withcharacter.com, we receive the information in your submission, including any Personal Information. If you choose to submit content to any public area of withcharacter.com, such content will be considered “public” and will not be subject to the privacy protections set forth herein.
- Communicate with us. We may also collect Personal Information from you when you communicate with us. For example, you may send us Personal Information by writing an email to us, calling our customer service department, or texting our customer service department. If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Take a survey. From time to time, we may contact you to participate in online surveys. If you do decide to participate, you may be asked to provide certain information which may include Personal Information.
- Passive collection. Our Site and Services collect and store information that is generated automatically as you use them, including your preferences and Deidentified usage statistics. This information may include Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, the files viewed on our websites and applications (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data. We use this data to analyze trends in the aggregate and provide our Services. Non-personal information that we passively collect may be combined with other information about you, including Personal Information.
Text Marketing and Notifications. By entering your phone number in the checkout and initializing a purchase, subscribing via our subscription form or a keyword, you agree that we may send you text notifications (for your order, including abandoned cart reminders) and text marketing offers. You acknowledge that consent is not a condition for any purchase. If you wish to unsubscribe from receiving text marketing messages and notifications reply with STOP to any mobile message sent from us or use the unsubscribe link we provided you with in any of our messages. You understand and agree that alternative methods of opting out, such as using alternative words or requests will not be accounted as a reasonable means of opting out. Message and data rates may apply. For any questions please text HELP to the number you received the messages from. You can also contact us for more information. If you wish to opt out please follow the procedures above.
Information Collected from Others. We may receive Personal Data and/or Deidentified Data about you from companies that provide our Services by way of a co-branded or private-labeled website or companies that offer their products and/or services on our Site. These third party companies may supply us with Personal Data. We do not control these third parties' tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
Cookies and Other Technologies. We may collect information using Cookies. Cookies are small data files stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device by a website. We may use both session Cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on your computer or mobile device until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our Site and Services.
We use two broad categories of Cookies: (1) first party Cookies, served directly by us to your computer or mobile device, which are used only by us to recognize your computer or mobile device when it revisits our Site or Services; and (2) third party Cookies, which are served by service providers on our Site or Services, and can be used by such service providers to recognize your computer or mobile device when it visits other websites.
Character and its partners also use pixels, server logs, and other similar technology to analyze trends, administer the website, track users’ movements around the website, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. Non-personal information that we collect using these technologies may be combined with other information about you, including Personal Information.
When you visit our website, log in, register or open an email, cookies, ad beacons, and similar technologies may be used by our online data partners or vendors to associate these activities with information they or others have about you, including your email address. We (or service providers on our behalf) may then send communications and marketing to these email addresses. You may opt out of receiving this advertising by visiting https://app.retention.com/optout.
(6) Use of Your Personal Information. In general, Personal Information you submit to us is used either to respond to requests that you make or to aid us in serving you better. We use your Personal Information in various ways, including as follows:
- Internal and service-related usage. We use and retain information, including Personal Information, to improve and facilitate our Services. We may also use such data to help us deliver targeted advertising to consumers that is displayed on both Character websites and unaffiliated websites, to analyze interactions with and performance of our Services, to measure the effectiveness of advertising on behalf of our advertising partners, and to identify the audience most likely to respond to an advertisement. We may also use data from third parties (such as data vendors) pursuant to their own privacy policies, and enhance information (including Personal Information) that we have collected with such third-party data. We believe that the use of such information is helpful to providing users with better services.
- Communications. We may send emails to the email address you provide to us to verify your account and for informational and operational purposes, such as account management, customer service, or system maintenance.
- Marketing. We may use information about you, including Personal Information, to send you information about Character’s Products.
- Non-Personal Information. We may use deidentified, aggregated or other data that is not Personal Information for any purpose, including marketing. These uses may include but are not limited to analyzing interactions with and performance of our Products, enabling us to improve our Products, and sharing such information with our business partners, affiliates, or any other third party. Similarly, we may enhance any such deidentified and aggregated data collected via our Products with other information collected from our business partners.
Third Party Service Providers. We may share Personal Information with our vendors and service providers who perform services on our behalf. These third parties are authorized to use your Personal Information only as necessary to provide these services to us, such as:
- Providing customer services including fulfilling orders, delivering packages, and communicating with you about your order.
- Payment processing.
- Sending, evaluating, and improving marketing communications.
- Conducting research and analysis.
- Measuring and improving the performance of our Products.
- Verifying your identity and preventing fraud.
- Developing and improving Products.
- Registering your Account.
- Detecting, preventing and remediating fraud or other potentially prohibited or illegal activities.
Marketing. If you are in the United States and make a purchase from us, certain information collected from you may be made available to select third parties who offer products or services that may be of interest to you. If you prefer that we not share your information with such third parties, see Your Choices Regarding Your Information below for more information.
Other Disclosures. We may access, preserve, and disclose your Personal Information, other account information, and content if we believe doing so is required or appropriate to comply with law enforcement requests and legal process, such as a court order, government request, or subpoena. We may also access, preserve, and disclose your Personal Information, other account information, and content if we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect yours’, ours’ or others’ rights, property, or safety, or investigate fraud.
(8) Third Party Websites. Our Services may contain links to other websites and other websites may reference or link to withcharacter.com or our other Services. These other domains and websites are not controlled by us. We encourage our users to read the privacy policies of each and every website and application that they interact with. We do not endorse, screen, or approve, and are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites or applications. Visiting these other websites or applications is at your own risk. Our Services may also contain links and interactive features with various social media platforms. If you already use these platforms, their cookies may be set on your device when using our Products. You should be aware that Personal Information which you voluntarily include and transmit online in a publicly accessible blog, chat room, social media platform or otherwise online, or that you share in an open forum may be viewed and used by others without any restrictions. We are unable to control such uses of your information when interacting with a social media platform, and by using such services you assume the risk that the Personal Information provided by you may be viewed and used by third parties for any number of purposes.
(9) Your Choices Regarding Your Information. You have several choices regarding use of information on our Services:
- Changing or Deleting Personal Information. You may change any of your Personal Information in your Account by editing your profile within your Account or by sending an email to us at the email address set forth in Section 1 above. You may request deletion of your Personal Information by us, and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request, but please note that we may be required to keep such information and not delete it (or to keep this information for a certain time, in which case we will comply with your deletion request only after we have fulfilled such requirements). When we delete any information, it will be deleted from the active database, but may remain in our archives. We may also retain your information for fraud or carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts.
- Disclosure of Your Information for Third-Party Advertising. If you do not want us to share your personal information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes, sending us an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Promotional Offers from the Character. If you do not wish to have your contact information used by the Character to promote our own or third parties' products or services, you can opt-out by sending us an email with your request to email@example.com. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions. This opt out does not apply to information provided to the Character as a result of a Product purchase, warranty registration, or other transactions.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Site. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site.
(11) Additional Privacy Rights And Data Protection Practices
Certain users may have additional personal information rights and choices based on where they live. We have tried to provide links to websites that provide more information below. If you feel that this list does not cover your rights, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, visit https://oag.ca.gov/privacy.
If you are a Canada resident, Canadian law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. To learn more about your Canada privacy rights, visit https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/.
If you are a resident of the European Union or European Economic Area, the General Data Protection Law (“GDPR”) may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. To learn more about your GDPR privacy rights, visit https://eugdpr.org/the-regulation/.
A list of European Union data protection authorities is available at: